Saturday, August 11, 2012

Perceptions of TIme

Time is always the same. 60 seconds always lasts exactly 60 seconds, 1 hr and 43 min always passes exactly the same way. However, time can be perceived in many different ways. Sometimes if an individual really enjoys an activity and is doing that activity for an hour time may seem accelerated and not feel like it actually takes an hour. Whereas if that individual is doing something that they really don't enjoy then time may be perceived as taking longer than it actually does. 


The article Leisure, Optimal Experience, and Peak Performance by William C Compton (Introduction to Positive Psychology) provides information regarding flow as defined by Csikszentmihalyi in 1975. It is stated that "flow denotes the holistic sensation present when we act with total involvement...It is the state in which action follows upon action according to an internal logic which seems to need no conscious intervention on our part. We experience it as a unified flowing from one moment to the next, in which we feel in control of our actions, and in which there is little distinction between self and environment; between stimulus and response; or between past, present, and future."

It is said that there are eight characteristics to a flow experience:

1. The merging of action and awareness
2. Complete concentration on the task at hand
3. Lack of worry about losing control that, paradoxically, results in a sense of control
4. A loss of self-consciousness
5. Time no longer seems to pass in ordinary ways
6. Autotelic nature of experience
7. Flow accompanies a challenging activity that requires skill
8. The activity has clear goals and immediate feedback

Running takes on many interesting complexes of time. For some it is as simple as them not enjoying running so time drags out. Others really enjoy running and time passes quickly. However, there are many other factors to consider including if an individual listens to music while running. runs inside or outside, runs with other people, or the distance one goes. 
With these thoughts in mind responses from the survey come back to supper the fact that time passes both fast and slow. For this response, however, there was not one overwhelming theme. Time passes differently for each runner. 

“Time passing depends on the scenario. I typically run for about 30 minutes everyday with my dogs, no music. Time passes quickly when I'm running like this. I suspect because of the additional task of managing my dogs. When I run without my dogs time passes more slowly. Running with music helps time pass more quickly if I enjoy the music. If the music is bad or not what I enjoy it becomes an annoyance.”

“Sometimes, honestly, time passes slowly. But I try to live for the moment and I realize that I ALWAYS feel better after a run. I tried running with music a couple of times, but I don't run with it now. I try to run outside as much as possible, but sometimes it is in a gym or on a treadmill. I run by myself while training. It does help to run with others. There is a lot of encouragement, especially in the later stages of a marathon.”
This person draws on encouragement and support during a run which can make it easier to continue to move forward. It appears that this and the motivation that the individual feels better after a run helps make time go by.

“If I am in shape, time passes pretty quickly but if I am out of shape it seems to go very slowly. Music helps time pass along faster as it sort of puts you in your own realm. When racing, time goes by quickly. It is probably because of the adrenaline/concentration that is going on. I am not so concerned with time as I am able to focus on competition.”

“I am affected by music - I like to listen to my I-pod. Where I run if I am enjoying pretty surroundings it makes me happy. I usually run alone because I like to go my own pace - having a good song at the end can make me go longer.”

“It depends on the day. It usually passes quickly, but as I become tired 10 minutes can feel like an hour. Music helps, but not all of the time. I like to listen to music during parts of a race, not during all of it. If I run a marathon or less I do not use music.”

“I love running with my friends, it makes 20 miles seem like 10. I usually don't run with music unless I am racing... it puts me in the zone and I know its not time to talk :)”
This person brings light onto the fact some runners pay more attention to the mileage than the time and in this case 20 miles can seem like 10 can be to one runner as 1 hour can seem like 30min to another runner.

 “With music, time passes quicker. Racing, if it's a close match I don't pay attention to time as much.”

 “This has morphed over the years. At first I need music to escape 3 miles. Now I like my music but could do a marathon with my thoughts and talking to other runners. It's interesting how the more you run, the less the distances seem. It's getting out of the "I can't it's too much!" and into the "this is normal and I can do anything" mindset.”
Experience can also affect how time feels and distances appear. The more a person runs and the more experience a person gains can change the way distance and time feel when running as well.

“Listen to music when I train or race, whether it is allowed or not. Music helps me maintain my tempo with the beat.”
Some races have rules against using headphones or listening to music. This can affect the way time is perceived. For example, if a person always runs with music and then is forced not to time might not have the same tempo as usual.

When I am running, time passes in slow motion. Every second is long, and I am hyperaware of my breathing (in through the nose, out through the mouth). At the same time, the scenery changes quickly, and it enables me to see more of the world in less time, which I like. I always run to music. I like to have it to focus on, and also to mark how much time I've been running. I run differently to different music. I feel powerful and strong when I run to Beyonce and upbeat dance tempos, and I feel calm and relaxed when I run to John Mayer. I don't race competitively, so I don't think I can answer the last question well.”
The type of music can also affect the pace and tempo of a runner as seen by this persons response.

Passes like normal, except I receive more mental relaxation which inturn allows me to feel like time passes slowly and I'm living in the moment more. I do not like to run with music because I feel it distracts me from thinking, which I like to do. I don't have enough experience racing or running with people I know how that is affected.”


Above, I have looked at the fifth characteristic of flow in the way time passes. As seen through responses, there is not one way that time passes for all runners. Time does not pass in ordinary ways for many people while running and is affected greatly by surrounds, distances, music, distractions, etc.  


In the survey I asked about how focused the runner is on the task at hand. The purpose of this was to relate it to flow experiences. Looking at the characteristics of flow focus, awareness, and control are important factors. 


“I pay a lot of attention to what's going on around me. To maintain pace I pay attention to what would be a distraction to my dogs. If there are other dogs I try to avoid them on my path. While running I'll think about my day, friends, relationships, work, future plans, and past mistakes. Sometime I'll just think about what's going on around me: duck's in the canal, people out for a walk with their dogs or children, sunrise, how good or bad the weather is.”

I am usually very focused while running. I think the physical exertion forces this. I think about life experiences while running. Some good. Some bad.”

“I am generally very focused. The course you are running can affect how focused you are. When trail running I am very focused on the terrain. When running in the city, my focus can be affected by hazards, road intersections, stoplights, etc. If I am running well, my mind stays on running and whatever goal I have for the session. If I am running a longer slower distance, my mind can often wander into a daydreaming type of state. If I have music on, I pretty much flow with the music and stay focused on the run.”

I am very focused when I run. I focus on the running, the scenery and the way I feel. I think about everything, from how tired I feel, how hungry, do I feel good, the weather, the sky, the stars. All of it is connected with running for me.”

“I am usually focused on my friends! We chat about anything and everything from poop to politics!”

If I am in a race I am more focused; if I am distracted emotionally or with thoughts, I am less focus but make more of an effort to focus.”

It depends on the run. My training runs I am focused on heart rate. During races I focus on time and pushing my heart rate.. I try to get uncomfortable to a certain level.”

I think about everything and anything- my day at work, my husband, my future, the quails I see while running, etc.”

“I'm focused on where I am and how fast I'm going. I usually don't think about anything.”

I like to focus on music while I am running, but I am also focused on exactly how my body feels. In other areas of life, it is easy to ignore your body. In running, it is not. I also feel like it is easier to NOT THINK and NOT WORRY when running, like your brain is cleared from stress and worry, and you are just another human in this world, doing what we have always done, putting one foot in front of the other and surviving. Succeeding.”
 When running, I try to not think about anything and clear my head. If I can't clear my head, it is usually due to worries going on in my life.”

Very focused. I think about form and maintaining a 90 step frequency.”

When running with other people, I am usually pretty focused on using strategies to keep up with everyone. If I am running alone, then I usually think about engineering questions related to my work, or about life related issues that don't have a clear answer.”

I think about one of two things - one, just keeping my feet moving, or two, my work. If I am pumped up about my work, then I seem to have more energy when I run.”

“Pretty focused, but not always on running. Often think through life things, aka what's going on. As I get more tired or hurting, I focus more on talking myself through the run itself.”

From these responses it becomes evident that not all of the people have full concentration on the task at hand, however, some people do have complete concentration. With this said, some of the runners that are completely focused, fulfilling the second characteristic and having the potential for a flow experience. Not all runners may have this experience (which can be seen by the responses above) but many can.  


In Apprehensions of Time it is states that “a fundamental change was taking place which, more than anything else, made it possible to ‘think’ the nation,” (22). “‘Homogenous, empty time’" is also discusses which can be related to several of the answers from the survey regarding how time passes while running. 

In the novel and the newspaper “the idea of a sociological organism moving calendrically through homogenous, empty time is a precise analogue of the idea of the nation, which also is conceived as a solid community moving steadily down (or up) history. An American will never meet, or even know the names of more than a handful of his 240,000-odd fellow-Americans. He has no idea what they are up to at any one time. But he has complete confidence in their steady, anonymous, simultaneous activity,” (26). 
This statement relates the perception of time and community. The American community and newspaper providing information as described above can be seen as a metaphor for the running community. There are millions of runners all over the world and although not all runners will know or even encounter each other there is "complete confidence in their steady, anonymous, simultaneous activity." 

Time is perceived in a variety of ways by people depending on enjoyment, surroundings, challenges, and other aspects a runner encounters while running. Time is not only perceived in different ways while a runner runs but time can also be an issue in the sense of having to make time to run. One survey participant states that "time is always a concern in toady's busy society where typically both husband and wife work long hours. But, to make health and fitness a priority, you have to FIND time to run. I have a busy life with 2 young children. Sometimes I run in the morning and sometimes I run late at night."

No comments:

Post a Comment