Saturday, August 11, 2012

Culture & Backgrounds

I wanted to be able to gauge the actual audience of my survey. My goal was to get a large range or runners to take the survey and was able to see that I did so in response to my question about the individuals running background. 
I decided to quote the responses I got instead of generalizing so that it can be clear who took my survey and what their running background consists of. 


“Always ran for other sports. Started running just for running about 2.5 years ago. I started so I could wear my two boxers out. Now its part of my morning routine. I consider myself a recreational runner. I continue to run as part of training for triathlons that I have competed in for the last year and I enjoy the time outside with my dogs.”

“I am an avid runner. I started running in late 2007 after discussing running a marathon with a group of friends. I started and continue to do it for both the physical and mental benefits. I believe it gives me more energy to keep up with the kids.”

“Was a competitive runner in high school and a little into my time in the Army. Started when I was 10. My dad had quit smoking by eating hard candy and to lose weight he started jogging and I would go with him. We along with my brother then started entering races and I seemed to do quite well for my age. I am on an off now. I started running again in 2006 as I began triathlon and it quickly became my best of the 3 legs. However, the more I bike, the less I train to run and swim and now I am back to off with running and I am just bike racing. I will start running a little bit again to help with cyclocross season that is coming up this fall.”

“Run some 5k's and a couple of times a week about 3 miles. A casual runner. I started to get fit - I keep doing it because I enjoy it and I think cardio is very healthy.”

“I started running 3-4 years ago. I am an ultra runner and marathoner. I started because I wanted to tire my puppy out. I continue because it is fun.”

“I started running for fun about 3 years ago. I am a fun runner who likes to PR and race with friends! I started because a friend pushed me to do a half marathon with her & I fell in love with how running makes me feel.”

“Ran cross country in high school. I run only every now and then at the moment. I continue to run because I enjoy pushing myself.”

“I ran competitively during School Years. I run now every week day (M to F) Started running to keep fit continue to run to stay fit.”

“I started "running" 10 years ago for a charity training to run a marathon. I was a back brace wearing asthmatic before that - active, but no sports. I started running with friends after that and actually got "serious" about it running regular miles and upping my distances and speeds in the last few years. And I'm now in my early 40s.”

“Wrestled in High School and College began running for endurance and to cut weight. I am an endurance runner, I run for distance not time.”

“I've been running (consistently) for a little over 2 years but started in 2006 when I began doing adventure races and sprint triathlons. I consider myself to be a novice runner (5-15 miles/ week). I continue to run because I'm hooked on the endorphins and adrenaline.”

“I started running around age 13 for school and continued through college. I've been focusing more on my cycling now since running injured my back.”

“I run occasionally but don't have a strong running background. I started when I played sports in high school during practice and I continue because I like it.”

“I started running more seriously about a year ago, while I was in the process of getting back into shape. Running was always very challenging to me, and I thought that because it was so challenging that it probably meant I should do more of it, that it was really good for me. At the time, I was also exercising to try and lose weight, which I did successfully. After I stopped trying, I continued running, and it became more of a pleasure. Especially being outside while running.”

“I used to play soccer so I ran pretty regularly. Now I run to keep healthy and to lose weight.”

“I am a twice to three times a week runner. I run 3-4 miles at a time. I started running to lose weight and reduce anxiety. I still run because I enjoy it”

“I started running at a young age because my older sister was a competitive runner. Growing up playing soccer it was always a helpful supplement to my stamina. It's never been something that I have a passion for or love doing. I have continued doing it because I am natural at it and it comes easily. I have run 2 half marathons and consider myself an occasional runner. I prefer to sprint than jog”

“I started running at the age of ten. Ran competitive in High School and College. Competed many years after college. I run now because it is still a passion. I now run with my XC and Track Team. My Son is on both of those.”

“My running background includes high school cross country and running on my own. I consider myself to be somewhat ok runner. I know I'm not the fastest, but I enjoy going on runs and it can be relaxing. I started because I needed to do a sport in high school. But I continue to do it because it's good for me, physically and mentally. I also feel really good about myself after I run.”

“I ran in highschool for track and cross country. I consider myself to be a fun runner aka/ non competitive! I started because I enjoyed it an that is the reason I continue, even when I'm complaining haha”

“I ran track in middle school and ran several road races in high school and college. Since then, I have mostly just run for exercise. Lately, I have been mostly running on trails, which is probably about once a week. I started running because I had a lot of energy, was pretty competitive, and was good at long distance running. I continue it now for exercise and because I enjoy running with friends.”

“I jog only a little - every now and then. I do walk regularly. I believe running is excellent exercise - good for conditioning - cardio and strength. I do it for exercise.”

“Ran for PE in elementary/middle school.”

“Track in high school. Running is just a way for me to keep in shape. I started so I could eat all I wanted and not get fat. I'm continuing to do it to get in better shape.

“Some high school crosscountry. My grandfather ran and I admired that. I would say I'm a casual runner. Started for exercise & as a challenge from my sister. Continue to because of my social connections and to train for races.”

From theses answers I feel that I did achieve my target audience for the survey; targeting runners of all kinds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment